The Municipality of|
Aarhontiko (Archondiko) is a village/settlement of the Municipality with 219 residents. |
It is built on a hill overlooking the whole area, at 440m a.sl., very close to Arkalochori and 35km from Heraklion. Its old name was Alitzani, thus mentioned since 1577 (Barozzi) with 210 residents. The story mentions of a Venetian so called (Tzanis), wealthy landowner in the area who, in order not to lose his land to the Turks changed his religion, became a Muslim and turned his name to Ali Tzanis, a name later used for the whole area.
Since 1955, however, the name of the village became "Arhondiko".
Very close to the village, on a hill called "Galatiani Kefala" ruins of a Minoan town have been found, claimed to be one of the biggest on Crete. At the place called "Prinias" there is an old church of ‘Virgin Mary, The Life-giver’ (Gr. ‘Panagia Zoodochos Pigi’) with remarkable frescoes.
The village is mentioned with the same name since 1577 (Barozzi).
The inhabitants occupy with farming and produce excellent olive oil grapes, raisins and wine.
There are remnands of frescoes in the two small chapels of Panagia and Agia Paraskevi.
Municipality fax nr:
703 00 Arkalohori
[Arkalohori] [Arhontiko-Houmeri-Zinta-Patsideros] [Gassi-Moussouta-Agia Semni] [Arch.Sites] [Churches]
Those pages are sponsored by the Municipality of Arkalohori.